Centaur CPUs: Esther und danach

stickedy

Commodore Special
Renomée
Für wann ist die Markteinführung der neuen Centaur-CPU Codename Esther geplant? Wie hoch sind die voraussichtlichen Taktraten und für welche CPU-Sockets wird die CPU erscheinen?

Wie sieht die weitere CPU-Roadmap aus? Gibt es konkrete Pläne mit welchem Zeitabstand man neue CPUs auf den Markt bringen will?

Und eine Bitte: Es wäre sehr schade, wenn mit Centaur/VIA ein weiterer CPU-Hersteller den Markt für gesockelte CPUs verlassen würde! Ich hätte gerne auch für Standard-Mainboards eine Low-Power Alternative! Also bleibt bitte im Markt!

Original geschrieben von stickedy
Für wann ist die Markteinführung der neuen Centaur-CPU Codename Esther geplant? Wie hoch sind die voraussichtlichen Taktraten und für welche CPU-Sockets wird die CPU erscheinen?

Wie sieht die weitere CPU-Roadmap aus? Gibt es konkrete Pläne mit welchem Zeitabstand man neue CPUs auf den Markt bringen will?

Und eine Bitte: Es wäre sehr schade, wenn mit Centaur/VIA ein weiterer CPU-Hersteller den Markt für gesockelte CPUs verlassen würde! Ich hätte gerne auch für Standard-Mainboards eine Low-Power Alternative! Also bleibt bitte im Markt!

Stickedy:

Esther is planned for Q4. Speeds would go up 2GHz. In terms of roadmap we plan to be bringing higher fanless-MHz and lower down the power consumption further on.

We are mainly targetting the processor into the embedded market. Unfortunately no plans for now to release Socket-based processors.

Michal

So, Esther-CPUs will only be available on EPIA-style Mainboards?

And the current C3 Nehemiah CPUs are the last socketed ones? That's very sad to hear! I used every Centaur CPUs since the old IDT WinChip C6. They are some kind of fascinating... ;)

BTW: Why did VIA cancel all old Cyrix CPU projects and closed down the company? As far as I remember, Cyrix never had plans for the embedded markets and VIA should have known that before Cyrix was bought from NatSemi...

Original geschrieben von stickedy
So, Esther-CPUs will only be available on EPIA-style Mainboards?

That's the plan for now.

BTW: Why did VIA cancel all old Cyrix CPU projects and closed down the company? As far as I remember, Cyrix never had plans for the embedded markets and VIA should have known that before Cyrix was bought from NatSemi...

Old Cyrix design team still exists! They are working on new designs - it is too early still to disclose the details.

Michal

Really? That are great news!!!!!

I've read that VIA closed down Cyrix back in 2000 or 2001 and so I thought that Cyrix is basically dead...

I think it's not so wrong if I suppose that Centaur is concentrating on new embedded Chips in the future and the Cyrix-team(s) possibly concentrates on new standalone CPUs?
The Centaur-Design didn't change significantly since the original C6 so I always had the hope that a wholly new architecure is developed, but I didn't think that Cyrix is involved in some ways...

BTW: I understand if you can't comment on this topic any more!

@Michal Lisiecki
You should know inside P3D Cyrix was never dead, a big fan is intel_hater with his own benchmark ... but not only intel_hater ;)

Zurück
Oben Unten